This special Cleveland eight station index machine is used to produce aluminum gas meter bodies. Machining operations performed by this one machine are:
- drill two 3.8″ holes, spot face four places to 3.4″ diameter
- mill valve face with hydraulic unit
- tap seventeen holes
- drill two #29 holes, spot face one hole 1.4″ diameter
- tap thirteen 1.4-20 pitch holes, two 8-32 pitch holes, and one 1.2-20 pitch hole.
The machine is reloaded manually every 24 seconds and produces 120 machined pieces per hour at 80% efficiency. The operator is able to attend other machines during the cycle period.
Operations performed by this Cleveland machine in producing sprinkler heads are:
- ream and face large end
- hollow mill and thread O.D. for 1/2″ T.P.
- backface and finish topside of large end
- hollow mill O.D. and drill for 8-32 pitch screw small end
- assemble spreader and rivet firmly in place
- tap 8-32 hole in small end
Castings are power chucked and spreaders are hopper fed. Discharge of finished parts is automatic.